Novel Coronavirus COVID-19
Based on guidance from the Indiana State Department of Health and Governor Holcomb, Mooresville Schools will close schools beginning Monday, March 16. Before the closure, there had been no confirmed cases of Coronavirus COVID-19 in Mooresville Schools. These actions are being taken out of an abundance of caution. Our schools will re-open no earlier than after Spring Break, Monday, April 6. Should conditions change that date, all families will be notified.
This means all activities in school buildings will be canceled as buildings are closed for cleaning with no entry. There will also be no Rec&U childcare programs during this time.
Our Food Services staff will have meal services available in a drive-through version of our USDA lunch program at Neil Armstrong and Newby Elementary Schools each weekday from 11a.m. to 1p.m. beginning Monday, March 16 through Thursday, March 26. This program is available for children ages 18 and younger. Each child in the car will receive a lunch as well as a breakfast meal for the following morning. Learn more
During this closure, students will participate in eLearning. For those in grades 7-12, they will utilize their Chromebooks. Students in grades K-6 will have online learning opportunities available. Those K-6 students who do not have access to smartphones, tablets or other devices may call the Mooresville Schools Education Center (317-831-0950) to request a printout of activities. For those who do not have internet access at home, our technology staff is working to expand Wi-Fi access into school parking lots. We will notify families when the access is expanded. Learn more
We want to recognize our staff for all of their efforts in light of this historic and fluid situation. We appreciate their hard work and we appreciate our families for understanding our changing protocols in response to state and federal updates.
Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 Resources
- Indiana State Department of Health Coronavirus Information
- CDC (Center for Disease Control) FAQs for 2019 Coronavirus
- Cases in the US (map)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- WHO Frequently Asked Questions about Novel Coronavirus
Resources For Children's Health and Health Education
- Handwashing videos from the CDC
- Handwashing reminder posters
- Kids Health (from the Nonprofit Children's Health System)
- Academy of American Pediatrics Healthy Children website
- Just for Kids - A Comic Exploring Coronavirus
- Talking to Kids about the Coronavirus
- Riley Hospital Information on COVID-19
Information About the Control of COVID-19 Spread and “Flattening the Curve” of Potential Contamination
- To close or not to close: As schools weigh tradeoffs in light of coronavirus, here’s what research says (Chalkbeat)
- How canceled events and self-quarantines save lives, in one chart (Vox Media)
- The Incubation Period of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) From Publicly Reported Confirmed Cases: Estimation and Application (American College of Physicians)
- Flatten the Curve (graphic)
As always, we thank our families for their support in educating our students about preventive measures and helping our students feel cared for by our community.